Kansas Department of Revenue - Frequently Asked Questions About Homestead (2024)

The Property Tax Relief claim form (K-40SVR) allows a refund of property tax for seniors, disabled veterans and the surviving spouse of a claimant who was either a disabled veteran or person 65 years of age or older. A claim can be filed with the Kansas Department of Revenue anytime between January 1, 2024, and April 18, 2024.

  • You must have been a resident of Kansas the entire year of 2023 and own your home and had an income of $53,600 or less.
  • Age 65 or over for the entire base year.
  • A disabled veteran for the entire year.
  • The surviving spouse of a claimant who was either a disabled veteran or person 65 years of age or older for the entire year. For the surviving spouse to qualify, the disabled veteran or person 65 years of age or older must have been receiving benefits under K.S.A. 79-4508a at the time of their death.
  • House cannot be valued at more than $350,000 in the base year.
  • If you file a Homestead claim K-40H, the refund will be sent to the county.
  • If you have delinquent property tax, you do not qualify to file the Kansas Property Tax Relief claim K-40PT.

No, a claimant may receive either a Homestead, SAFESR or a Property Tax Relief refund. Each claimant is entitled to only one of the 3.

Kansas Homestead Claim, Kansas Department of Revenue, PO Box 750260 Topeka, KS 66699-0260.

Yes, Form K-40SVR allows the claimant to check a "Refund Advancement Program" box.

No. Do not submit copies of your property tax statements to the Kansas Department of Revenue. Keep a copy in your records, as the department reserves the right to request a copy of the property tax statement at a later date - if needed.

Yes, the refund claim may be filed electronically at Kansas Department of Revenue - Homestead Refund or by either a paid practitioner, a volunteer using Kansas WebFile, or through IRS e-File. These filing options are safe and secure, and you will receive your refund faster if you use direct deposit. File your Homestead claim now by clicking here.

Yes, Property Tax Relief refund claims which are electronically filed may be directly deposited to the claimant's bank account.

To claim a Homestead refund you must have been a Kansas resident for all of 2023 and had an income of $40,500 or less. The maximum refund possible is $700. You must also meet one of the following three requirements:

  1. You were born before January 1, 1968; OR
  2. You must have been blind or totally and permanently disabled all of 2023, regardless of your age; OR
  3. You must have a dependent child who lived with you the entire year who was born before January 1, 2023, and was under the age of 18 the entire year.
  4. The property tax relief claim (K-40PT) is for homeowners that were 65 years of age or older, with a household income of $23,700 or less, and a resident of Kansas all of 2023.

Complete and submit a Kansas Homestead Claim (K-40H), a Property Tax Relief Claim (K-40PT), or a Property Tax Relief Claim for Seniors and Disabled Veterans (K-40SVR).

Claimants are to include only 50 percent of Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments they receive during the year in their Household Income.

Social Security DISABILITY, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) DISABILITY, Railroad DISABILITY and Veterans DISABILITY are not included in “Household Income”. Only 50 percent of the regular Social Security and Supplemental Security benefits are to be included in Household Income.

Yes, disabled veterans can claim a homestead refund. Veterans must be Kansas residents, honorably discharged, and certified to have 50 percent or more permanent disability sustained through military actions. Surviving spouses of deceased disabled veterans are also eligible to claim a Homestead refund and remain eligible until such time as they remarry. An original Veterans Disability Determination Letter or Letter from a Regional V.A. that includes the disability date verifying the disability occurred prior to January 1, 2023 and percentage of permanent disability must be filed with the Homestead Refund Claim (K-40H).

A surviving spouse of an active duty service member who died in the line of duty are also eligible to claim a Homestead refund and remain eligible until such time as they remarry.

No. To receive a Homestead refund, the appraised value of the home cannot exceed $350,000.

Normal processing time for a refund is 20 to 24 weeks.

You may check on the status of your current year Homestead refund claim at Kansas Department of Revenue - Home page and click Check My Refund. You may also visit the refund status application directly by clicking here. You will need to provide the Social Security number shown on your claim as well as the exact amount of your refund, in whole dollars only. Lastly, indicate the type of return you are inquiring about a refund for.

Homestead refund information regarding prior year claims or amended claims is not available using this system.

No. Do not subtract any net operating losses or net capital losses from the income amounts.

To file an amended claim, obtain another copy of Kansas Homestead Claim (K-40H) and mark the "amended" box. Enter the information on the claim as it should have been, and enclose an explanation of the changes. If the refund shown on the amended claim is less than the refund you received from the original claim, enclose a check or money order for the difference with your amended claim. Make your check payable to "Kansas Department of Revenue." Write "Homestead Repayment-Amended Claim" and your Social Security number on the face of your payment.

Customers who need help are encouraged to visit the various sections of our website or call the Kansas Taxpayer Assistance Center at 785-368-8222.

The Kansas Department of Revenue also provides free taxpayer assistance. Taxpayer Assistance Centers are available by appointment only. Go to ksrevenue.org to set up an appointment at the Topeka or Overland Park office by using the Appointment Scheduler and/or call Taxpayer Assistance Center at 785-368-8222.

Topeka Office
120 SE 10th Avenue - 1st Floor
Topeka, KS 66612-1103

Overland Park Office
7600 W. 119th St., Suite A
Overland Park, KS 66213-1128

Office Hours: 8 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. (M-F)
Phone: 785-368-8222
Fax: 785-291-3614

IMPORTANT: Appointments are required. Please visit Kansas Department of Revenue Appointment Scheduling to schedule an appointment. Be sure to bring all pertinent documentation with you.

The following list of documentation is required for all claims:

  • Birth dates and verification of Social Security numbers (SSNs) for the claimant and all household members born before January 1, 2023. SSN verification can be a social security card or an official government document containing the FULL social security number. ***No copies****
  • Photo ID for the claimant.
  • Current tax year real estate tax assessment statement from the county treasurer and/or current tax year property tax form (for mobile homes or modular homes).

This list of documentation will be required if it applies to your situation:

  • Claimants that qualify by disability will need to show documented proof of their disability date.
  • A copy of your current tax year federal and/or state income tax return, if you have one.
  • A copy of your prior year federal and/or state income tax return, if you have one.
  • Proof of all income (taxable and nontaxable) for all household members which may include, but is not limited to, the following: W2 forms and tax documents for pensions, social security income, SSI payments, and food stamps.
  • VOIDED check or deposit slip with bank routing and account number for direct deposit.

Anyone wanting to file a Homestead (K-40H), Property Tax Relief Claim (K-40PT), or a Property Tax Relief Claim for Seniors and Disabled Veterans (K-40SVR) refund may use the Kansas Department of Revenue’s free software. File your Homestead claim now by clicking here WebFile is a simple, secure, fast, and free Kansas electronic filing option:

  • You will need to enter your last year’s refund amount to verify your identity, or
  • 8 digit access code

If this is your first time applying for the Homestead, SAFESR or Property Tax Relief claim, you may file electronically using a 3rd party Vendor Software or file by paper.

If you need assistance signing into the system, contact our office by email at KDOR_IncomeEServ@ks.gov or call 785-368-8222 dial 4 dial 1..

Kansas Department of Revenue - Frequently Asked Questions About Homestead (2024)


Kansas Department of Revenue - Frequently Asked Questions About Homestead? ›

Do I qualify for a Homestead refund? To claim a Homestead refund you must have been a Kansas resident for all of 2023 and had an income of $40,500 or less. The maximum refund possible is $700.

What are the homestead laws for Kansas? ›

A homestead to the extent of 160 acres of farming land, or of one acre within the limits of an incorporated town or city, or a manufactured home or mobile home, occupied as a residence by the owner or by the family of the owner, or by both the owner and family thereof, together with all the improvements on the same, ...

At what age do seniors stop paying property taxes in Kansas? ›

Must be age 65 or older; or a disabled veteran; or a surviving spouse of person age 65 or older or a disabled veteran for all of 2023. Must be a resident of Kansas and a homeowner for all of 2023. Must have Kansas taxable income of less than $50,000.

What is the income limit for a homestead in Kansas? ›

Qualifications for the Homestead Claim (K-40H):

Must be a Kansas resident the entire tax year; Owner of your home; Total household income is $40,500 or less; AND. Over age 55, or blind, or disabled, OR has dependent child who lived with you and was under age 18, for the entire tax year.

What are property tax exemptions in Kansas? ›

Government Exemptions
K.S.A. 79-201a FirstProperty owned by the United States government.
K.S.A. 79-201a NinthProperty acquired by Kansas Turnpike Authority
K.S.A. 79-201a TenthProperty acquired and used for state park purposes by Wildlife & Parks
K.S.A. 79-201a EleventhState office building
38 more rows

How did the Homestead Act affect Kansas? ›

Thousands of African-Americans made their way to Kansas and other Western states after Reconstruction. The Homestead Act and other laws offered blacks the opportunity to escape the racism and oppression of the post-war South and become owners of their own tracts of private farmland.

What was the Homestead Act in simple terms? ›

To help develop the American West and spur economic growth, Congress passed the Homestead Act of 1862, which provided 160 acres of federal land to anyone who agreed to farm the land. The act distributed millions of acres of western land to individual settlers.

Where is my Kansas Homestead refund? ›

To check the status of your Kansas state refund online, go to https://www.kdor.ks.gov/Apps/kcsc/increfundstatus.aspx. Click on “Submit” to view your refund status. You may also call 1-785-368-8222, 8 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Monday through Friday. Generally, if the return was completed correctly.

How do I make full time income from homestead? ›

Easy strategies for earning income on your homestead
  1. Selling Plant Starts.
  2. Market Gardening.
  3. Specialty Produce.
  4. Host Events.
  5. Rent Out Space.
  6. Educational Workshops.
  7. Farm Fresh Eggs.
  8. Logging, Firewood, and Woodworking.
Apr 3, 2024

Is social security taxable in Kansas? ›

Kansas is moderately tax-friendly for retirees. It exempts all Social Security income for seniors with Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) of $75,000 or less. Public pension income is also exempt, though other forms of retirement income are not.

Why are property taxes so high in Kansas? ›

The rise in property taxes for Kansas residents is mainly due to rising home values in the state. In Kansas, the typical home value was $214,347 as of January 31, according to Zillow's latest data, up 4.2 percent from the previous year.

What items are tax exempt in Kansas? ›

Some goods are exempt from sales tax under Kansas law. Examples include farm machinery and equipment, prescription drugs, and some medical devices.

Is property tax based on purchase price in Kansas? ›

Your appraised value is the basis for your property taxes, but actual tax rates apply to a different number: assessed value. Kansas has a statewide assessment percentage of 11.5%. This means that assessed value, which is the value on which you pay taxes, is equal to 11.5% of your home's appraised value.

What states are homestead exempt? ›

Texas, Florida, Iowa, South Dakota, Kansas, and Oklahoma have some of the broadest homestead protections in the United States in terms of the value of property that can be protected.

How much did it cost a person to claim 160 acres of land under the Homestead Act? ›

Title could also be acquired after only a six-month residency and trivial improvements, provided the claimant paid the government $1.25 per acre.

What is the state income tax in Kansas? ›

Overview of Kansas Taxes

Income tax rates in Kansas are 3.10%, 5.25% and 5.70%. There are no local income taxes on wages in the state, though if you have income from other sources, like interest or dividends, you might incur taxes at the local level.

Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Fr. Dewey Fisher

Last Updated:

Views: 6386

Rating: 4.1 / 5 (42 voted)

Reviews: 89% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Fr. Dewey Fisher

Birthday: 1993-03-26

Address: 917 Hyun Views, Rogahnmouth, KY 91013-8827

Phone: +5938540192553

Job: Administration Developer

Hobby: Embroidery, Horseback riding, Juggling, Urban exploration, Skiing, Cycling, Handball

Introduction: My name is Fr. Dewey Fisher, I am a powerful, open, faithful, combative, spotless, faithful, fair person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.